and access floor
systems can provide energy savings, improved indoor air quality,
and a technology ready environment for today's commercial
Underfloor air distribution and access floor systems provide
numerous advantages to commercial building owners and occupants
compared to traditional overhead air distribution systems with
"pipe and wire" data, telecommunications, and electrical
distribution systems. Underfloor air systems can provide energy
savings while improving comfort and indoor air quality in many
applications. The additional costs of the access floor system are
partially offset by savings in wiring and HVAC installation costs.
In buildings where frequent remodeling is required, savings in
remodeling costs alone can easily pay for the system. Improvements
in occupant health and comfort due to improved indoor air quality
can increase employee productivity and company profitability.This
design brief is an introduction to underfloor air and access floor
systems, and addresses the following topics:
- Displacement ventilation and hybrid underfloor systems.
- Energy savings and indoor air quality improvement.
- Access floor system design and construction.
- Economics of combined underfloor air and access floor
- Comfort and productivity issues. Applications of underfloor air
and access floor systems.